Have you ever held a conversation with an Israeli and used a word you learned in your third-grade Hebrew class or maybe in Ulpan, but got a completely different reaction than you expected? It's no wonder why, because your Hebrew teacher didn't teach you street smart Hebrew!
We gathered seven street-smart Hebrew phrases and words you need to know!
01 Hofer - חוֹפֵר
Literal translation: digger
Israeli translation: talking too much
- This man sat next to me on the bus and חָפַר לִי the entire ride. It was awful! - Be careful around Ross. He likes to לַחֲפוֹר about dinosaurs.
02 Lo Boer - לֹא בּוֹעֵר
Literal translation: not burning
Israeli translation: no hurry
- You don't have to send me the email today. It's לא בוער for me. - לא בוער to know what happens on the last Fauda episode.
03 K'fotz Lee - קְפוֹץ לִי
Literal translation: jump for me
Israeli translation: bite me
- Why don't you just קפוץ לי. - I don't care what that guy said, he can לקפוץ לי.
04 Liga - לִיגָה
Literal translation: league
Israeli translation: top quality
- How did the cake come out? ליגה!. - Your apartment is in its own ליגה.
05 Horess Et Habriut - הוֹרֵס אֶת הַבְּרִיאוּת
Literal translation: ruins the health
Israeli translation: gorgeous / beautiful
- Your brother absolutely הורס את הבריאות. - I can't stop looking at this picture, it just הורס את הבריאות.
06 Baktana - בְּקָטְנָהּ
Literal translation: in a little one
Israeli translation: don't worry about it / no harm no foul
- בקטנה, it's no big deal - I just broke a little piece, it's really בקטנה
07 Madlik - מַדְלִיק
Literal translation: lighting
Israeli translation: cool
- Man, your cousin is so מדליק. - Wow, that is quite a מדליק car you have.