Homemade Israeli Hummus Recipe
Learn how to make Israeli hummus with the one and only, Tomer Hilel. It is really easy and tastes good with just about everything!
1 15 oz. can of chickpeas [drained and rinsed]
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-2 medium clove of garlic [crushed]
1 cup tahini paste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp table salt
1 fresh lemon [squeezed]
2-3 tbsp Olive oil
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp za’atar [optional]
A handful of parsley [chopped]
Serve with: pita chips and cut vegetables
Reserve 7 or 8 chickpeas to use as a garnish [optional]
1) Place rinsed and drained chickpeas in a saucepan.
2) Cover with water and add the 1/2 tsp baking soda.
3) Bring to a boil and cook for about 1-2 hours to soften. >How do I know it's ready? When you can crush into a paste easily with your hand.
4) Drain the chickpeas but save some of the cooking water. (Place the water in the fridge in order for it to cool down).
5) While the food processor is running, drop the garlic cloves. Keep running until they are chopped fine.
6) Remove the processor lid and add the drained chickpeas. Let it run for 2 minutes and cool it down.
7) Then add the tahini, cumin, lemon juice, and salt. Process until it looks completely blended [It's best to do by hand].
8) Take the water out of the fridge and pour through the lid of the food processor until you reach your desired creamy consistency. be careful not to add too much.
Spoon the hummus out into a shallow bowl, and with the back of a spoon, make a groove for a generous drizzle of olive oil, sweet paprika, za’atar, chopped parsley, and the reserved chickpeas.
You can even top with sauteed mushrooms & onion with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Serve immediately with warm pita bread or fresh-cut veggies. Enjoy!
Things you should know about hummus!
How long does fresh hummus last?
Up to 4 days
Homemade hummus will generally keep for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze hummus?
Yes, you can.
If you want to make a BIG batch of hummus, but you’re not going to eat it all within 1 week, you can easily freeze hummus to save for later.
Store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
When ready to use the hummus, let it thaw in the refrigerator a day before use.
Tip: freeze hummus in individual servings rather than one big tub. That makes it easier to grab what you need instead of thawing the whole thing every time.
Is hummus healthy?
Yes, it is.
Hummus is definitely one of the healthiest dip options, which is great to hear since it’s so delicious! It’s low-calorie, full of plant-based protein (chickpeas!), and it’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients. It’s also good for the heart and the digestive system, so it’s a really good thing to add to your diet.
What cool toppings can I put on hummus?
Za'atar and roasted tomatoes
Tzatziki (yogurt and cucumbers)
Spiced olive and salami
Mexican style (salsa, corn, and beans)
The flavors of Israel
When sitting in a shop in Israel, you can find this topping on the menu in Hummus shops:
Mashawsha: מֶסָבָּחָה = משאוושה
What is in this topping: lemon, garlic, parsley. All ingredients are grounded in a food processer and then placed on top of the hummus.